Angkor Thom, which means 'Big Angkor', is one of the largest sites in the Angkor Archaeological Park. This huge walled city with a moat was the last great capital of the Angkorian Empire.
When Jayavarman VII defeated the Cham invaders in 1181, and recaptured the Angkorian capital, he instituted a massive building program throughout the empire. He constructed Angkor Thom as the new capital city and encompassed the already existing temples of Baphuon and Phimeanakas. At its zenith, it is estimated that the city had a population of almost a million.
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
Interested in this tour? Book it here.
Inside Angkor Thom are some of the most impressive temples of the Angkorian period. To enter the city, you have to pass through one of the 5 huge entrance gates. There is a gate at each of the 4 points of the compass (north, east, south, and west), plus the so-called Victory Gate, which leads to the Royal Palace area.
Each gate is topped by 4 giant faces, and the bridges leading to the gates are lined with statues of gods and spirits. Angkor Thom contains the famous temple of Bayon, together with other important sites.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7.30am to 5.30pm
- Location: Angkor Archaeological Park, Siem Reap, Cambodia