The name Banteay Srei (sometimes written as 'Banteay Srey') translates from Khmer roughly as the ‘citadel of the women,’ but this is a recent name that most likely was applied because of the pink sandstone and the delicate carvings. This beautiful 10th century temple is dedicated to the Hindu god, Shiva. It has some of the most exquisite carvings of any Khmer temple, and has almost a storybook ambiance. The detailed carving of the sculptures, lintels, and friezes, make it an aesthetically pleasing structure. The walls are covered with deep, intricate carvings, each one carved with superb detail.
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
Location: Outside main park area, approx. 38 km north of Siem Reap
Getting there: Drivers charge an extra fee for the trip.
Construction period: Late 10th century C.E.
Built by: King Rajendravarman, later under King Jayavarman V.
Building style: Banteay Srei
Photography: Many of the carvings are cordoned off, and a long lens and tripod are needed for carving close-up shots. The colors of the temple are at their best before 10:00, and after 14:00.