Cello Concert by Dr Beat Richner
Siem Reap Attractions0
This cello concert, as the name implies, is a unique show presented by Dr. Beat Richner – a Swiss national who is fondly referred to as Beatocello by Cambodians. Born in 1947 in Zurich, he received his medical degree in 1973 and worked as a pediatric specialist at the Zurich Children’s Hospital before he came to Cambodia in 1975 as per the request of the Red Cross to work at the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital. Though he was forced to return to Switzerland because of Khmer Rouge invasion, he came back to Cambodia in 1991 and founded the Kantha Bopha Foundation in 1992. Started with 68 local staff and 16 foreign staff, the foundation currently employs more than 2,000 Cambodian staff and has only one expatriate staff member other than the doctor.
The foundation now operates five hospitals that render free medications and healthcare services to children in the country. They include the Jayavarman VII Hospital in Siem Reap, where Beat Richner conducts solo cello performances that are more than just a source of entertainment, primarily focused to raise funds as well as awareness of child health care in the country. Donations received, along with funding from the Cambodian government, Swiss government and large private Swiss donors, are solely utilized to run these hospitals that admit more than 200 children on daily basis, in addition to performing 50 surgical procedures and providing about 2,000 vaccinations.
On recognizing his services for poor children, Dr Beat Richner was awarded the title of ‘Swiss of the Year’ in 2003.Read More
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
Dr Beat Richner's Cello Concert
Every Thursday and Saturday, the conference hall of Jayavarman VII Hospital becomes the venue for Dr Beat Richner to perform Bach on his cello. An accomplished entertainer who used to act as a singing clown in Switzerland, Beatocello however now performs as a cellist primarily to collect money for the activities of his Kantha Bopha hospitals that also include a maternity ward for HIV mothers. The performance is followed by a video, which throws light on social prejudices in the country.
As part of the concert, he also speaks about his work in these hospitals and encourages audiences to generously contribute towards the mission of combating child health crisis in the country. In addition to money, the doctor also requests young audience members to donate blood in order to maintain the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s blood bank that observes the WHO guidelines.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: from 19:15 to 20:30 twice a week
- Location: Located outside the city centre in Siem Reap, Jayavarman VII Hospital is easily accessible from the road to Angkor Wat.
- Remarks: Entry is free though donations are encouraged
You May Also Like