Cuisine Wat Damnak is an award-winning restaurant founded by French chef Joannes Riviere. Opened in 2001, this exclusive fine-diner – the first-ever Cambodian restaurant to rank in the critically acclaimed Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list – serves Khmer delicacies prepared according to French haute-cuisine principles.
The restaurant occupies a traditional Cambodian home within Wat Damnak Village, featuring an al fresco dining area that’s surrounded by verdant trees and local herbs, a modern air-conditioned space with local artwork and handicrafts, and an all-wooden upstairs section that’s fitted with a number of vintage local furnishing. Five-course and six-course degustation menus are available here for US$24 and US$28.
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
To keep things interesting, the menu changes on a fortnightly basis to utilise seasonal ingredients from across Southeast Asia. Chef Joannes Riviere is also known to incorporate rare Cambodian produce in his recipes, including feroniella, ambarella and kuy fruits, edible flowers, shellfish and fish that are native to Mekong River and Tonle Sap Lake. Although dishes here may contain nuts, pork, and seafood, Cuisine Wat Damnak can easily accommodate vegans, vegetarians and diners with specific dietary requirements.
Standout dishes at Cuisine Wat Damnak include beef cheek saraman (roasted peanut curry), Angkor Stout slow-cooked pork ribs soup with calamari, seaweed, shiny Cresson and green cabbage, prawn and sticky rice grilled in a banana leaf, ripe and pickled green papaya salad, and stir-fried minced pork with prahok (fermented fish paste) and eggs, garnished with herbs, edible flowers and local crudités.
Located at Siem Reap Riverside, Cuisine Wat Damnak Restaurant is a five-minute tuk-tuk ride from Angkor Night Market. Due to its popularity, we highly recommend making a reservation before making your way to the restaurant.
Cuisine Wat Damnak
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 18:30 – 21:30
- Address: Wat Damnak Village, Sala Kamreuk Commune, Siem Reap
- Tel: +855 77 347 762