Siem Reap Shopping
Where to Shop and What to Buy in Siem Reap
Being a tourist-related town, there are a great many shopping opportunities in Siem Reap and after hotels and tourism, shopping is big business. It’s not exactly 'shop ‘til you drop', but from cheap souvenirs to expensive gems and jewellery, and everything in between, you can find just about whatever you want here. There are three main local markets, three main night markets, and now two shopping centres and many 24-hour convenience stores. Khmer handicraft items exist in large quantities, and there are places that sell 'antiques'. While some things may be actual old antiques, one should be careful when purchasing such items.
People here have become very adept at making new things look old. Also, it is illegal to export Angkorian artifacts taken from ancient sites. In any event, you need to know what you are doing when dealing with antiques.
We have provided reviews from a selection of different shopping venues to hopefully save you time and money while shopping.
Local Markets in Siem Reap
As stated above, Siem Reap has three main Local markets. These are the Khmer style sprawling market places. They are all somewhat the same, but they are also somewhat different in the types of items they sell. Prices are always negotiable.
Old Market (Phsar Chas)
This is the original Khmer market in Siem Reap, and has some of everything. Sells: souvenirs, silks, silver, jewellery, some antiques, clothes, shoes, household items, hardware, and fresh food. Also, Khmer food stalls, and sewing repair.
- Location: Downtown near the Siem Reap River.
Central Market (Phsar Kandal)
Sells: souvenirs, clothes, luggage, gems, silver, paintings, etc. Also, Khmer food stalls/restaurants.
- Location: Downtown on Sivatha Blvd.
This is a huge market where most local people go to buy. They sell food, clothes, shoes, tools, electronics, house wares, and almost anything else you would want.
- Location: Hwy. No. 6 east of town.
A somewhat smaller version of Phsar Leu. It is also on Highway No. 6, but closer to town.
- Location: east of town on National Hwy. No. 6, on the way to Phsar Leu
Siem Reap Night Markets
Noon Night Market
This is the second oldest, and second largest of the night markets. They also sell the same type of souvenir items.
- Location: Off of Sivatha Blvd. on same street to Angkor Night Market.
Siem Reap Night Market
The newest and smallest night market, it offers mostly souvenirs, but also has antiques.
- Location: Sivatha Blvd.
Shopping Centres in Siem Reap
Siem Reap now boasts 2 somewhat full-fledged shopping centers. They are not shopping centers as one would find in developed countries, but at least they are shopping centers.
Angkor Trade Center
This is the first real shopping center in Siem Reap. On the 1st floor is a supermarket, Swensen’s Ice Cream, Pizza Company, and other shops. 2nd floor: clothes, shoes, electronics, etc. 3rd floor: games arcade.
- Location: Near Old Market, on the river.
Being the newest shopping center, it should be the biggest and best, but there are relatively few shops here. It does have a Lucky Burger and a very good Lucky Supermarket. Can be very crowded in the evening and on weekends.
- Location: Sivatha Blvd., south of Hwy. No. 6
Other Shops in Siem Reap
This is now the gallery for the Cambodian artist know as Asasax. Paintings by the artist are on display and for sale in the small gallery. The style of his art ranges from realism to abstract, to some pieces that are almost cartoon like. The major themes of his work involve Angkor temples, Khmer faces, and elephants. He works in a variety of media including oils, water color, and collage.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 to 21:00
- Location: Achar Sva St., south of Wat Bo Bridge (east side of river).
- Tel: (+855) 063-964369
For expats and tourists alike, up until the a couple of years ago, this was the only place to shop. With a large selection of imported food and groceries, it is still the best place to shop for international items that even the supermarket doesn’t stock. Tourists come by the busload.
- Opening Hours: 07:30 to 22:00
- Location: 1-2 Eo Sivatha Blvd., corner of Oum Khun St.
- Tel: (+855) 012-827898
This has to be one of the most unique art galleries in Siem Reap. Located in a 2-storey shop-house, it is very artsy and funky. At any one time, there are approximately 10 Cambodian artists displaying their works representing a variety of eclectic styles and techniques from detailed pen and ink drawings to abstract art and photography. The soft jazz music floats through the venue, while you enjoy the artwork, and sip your juice, coffee, beer or cocktails.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 23:30
- Location: The Alley West, Old Market area.
Art Work Gallery
Original works by the Cambodian artist S. Kheang are on display and for sale in this gallery. A range of media are used in his works, including acrylic, pastels, oil colors, Saa paper, canvas, silk, etc., and the works reflect the life experience of the artist growing up in Cambodia. They also do T-shirt design.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 to 22:00
- Location: Sivatha Blvd., south of the Central Market.
- Address: www.cambodianartwork.com
The first thing you notice when you walk into this small shop is the beautiful aroma of the scented candles. All candles are handmade, and are made with fragrances such as jasmine and vanilla.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-21:00
- Location: 565 Pi Thnou St., near the Old Market.
- Tel: (+855) 63-760778, (+855) 12-988833
Asia Craft Center
A rather pricey retail outlet selling products from many Asian countries. Lots of carpets, tapestries, and statues in somewhat ostentatious displays. They are aimed more at the upscale market.
- Location: Charles de Gaulle Ave. (road to Angkor Wat).
- Tel: (+855) 63-760321, (+855) 012-772615
They make unique handbags, and other products, out of completely recycled materials. Their products are actually a protest against waste, and the “throw away” culture. They believe in paying workers a fair wage, while helping the planet. Stop by if you are interested in helping the environment.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 to 22:00
- Location: Corner of Street 7 and Pi Thnou St.
- Tel: (+855) 092-601328
Blue Apsara Book Shop
For used books in a variety of languages; this is the place. They have about 5,000 fiction and non-fiction books in English, French, German and Dutch. Its a good place to get used travel guides, especially for Southeast Asia. They buy, sell, and trade.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 23:00
- Location: Street 9, near Capitol Bus.
- Tel: (+855) 012-601483
Blush Boutique is located in a quiet pedestrian alley in central Siem Reap and is a veritable Aladdin's Cave offering a huge variety of items including; Clothes, swimwear, shoes and boots, full range of Spa and beauty Products, accessories from hair bands, rings, bracelets, necklaces and nose-studs to a selection of hand-bags and clutches, mobile phone 'Bling', stationary, wax hair-coloring… and much more.
The design is unique, fresh and inspiring, with a water feature and as the backdrop and a spacious changing room in the back. A tester area is also provided, equipped with a stylish wash basin to try all the Spa and beauty products. Whether you are treating yourself or hunting for that perfect gift for any occasion, Blush will provide the ideal shopping experience in a relaxed environment.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 22:00
- Location: The Lane, north of Pub Street, behind Temple Bar
- Remarks: Gift Vouchers and loyalty schemes available
- Tel: 063-5555233
Featuring silks, wall hangings, and carpets, they have a large selection of arts and crafts products from all over Asia. They also offer quality clothing, dresses, bedspreads, shirts, and tablecloths.
- Opening Hours: 08:30 to 21:00
- Location: Charles De Gaulle St., just north of the Angkor National Museum.
- Tel: (+855) 63-964571, (+855) 13-525785
New Apsara Market
Conveniently located on Wat Bo Road, it is the only market on the east side of the Siem Reap River that has a good selection of imported groceries. They cater to travelers and expats, and its a good place to stop in and stock up on canned goods, snacks, daily necessities, and drinks.
- Opening Hours: 07:00 to 23:00
- Location: Wat Bo Road, a block south of Hwy. No. 6.
- Tel: (+855) 63-966087
A small shop selling a variety of items. Old photos, bronzes, opium pipes, flags, postcards, and refrigerator magnets are just a few of the types of things for sale here. An interesting place to check out.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 to 23:00
- Location: The Passage, south of Pub Street.
- Tel: (+855) 012-593440
Run by a local non-profit association, it is a training project producing fair-trade products that blend contemporary designs with traditional Cambodian crafts. They sell quality handicraft products, and enable many village families to support themselves.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 23:00
- Location: 153 Sivatha Street, north of Street #7
- Tel: 063-965344, 012-481894
Operated by a non-profit organization, purchases here directly benefit employment programs for Cambodians with disabilities. They sell silks, carvings, and a wide variety of quality handicraft products at fair-trade prices.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 21:00
- Location: 353 Pokombor Ave., near Angkor Trade Center.
- Tel: (+855) 063-965104
In Siem Reap for about 7 years, this shop specializes in tailor-made natural silk clothes, including suits, dresses, blouses and hats. Accessories also available.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 to 23:00
- Location: 98 Pi Thou St., opposite the Provincial Hospital.
- Tel: (+855) 063-965310
Sao Mao Boutique
A craft boutique selling silk products, handcrafted silver, jewellery, coconut shell products, souvenirs, and hill-tribe products.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 21:00 (closed Sunday)
- Location: Street 9, opposite the Old Market.
- Tel: (+855) 063-761224, (+855) 012-818130
Siem Reap Book Center
In addition to a wide selection of books, they also have clothes, silk products, bags, jewellery, CDs, stationary, souvenirs, postcards, and even wine!
- Opening Hours: 08:00 to 23:00
- Location: 699 Pi Thnou St., near the Old Market.
- Tel: (+855) 011-652333
Treasure of Angkor
If you are looking for quality Cambodian antiques, they have a good collection of wood, bronze and stone pieces. They have old and new items, and many large and small Buddhist statues.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 to 23:00
- Location: 089 Sivatha Blvd., at Oum Khun St.
- Tel: (+855) 63-969878, (+855) 12-994343