The Siem Reap Old Market on the west side of Siem Reap River is where the local population head to in the early mornings to shop for a wide array of fresh vegetables, seafood, and meat as well as household items. Locally known as Psar Chas, it’s the oldest Khmer market in Siem Reap and a must-visit for those looking to experience the local lifestyle.
The open-air market is covered by a massive roof, offering ample shade from the sun if you’re here on a scorching afternoon. While the stalls aren’t as refined as the ones you might find at newer markets like Angkor Night Market. The wet section of Old Market is located close to the central food court, where local vendors display live seafood in fish tanks and butchered poultry atop ice trays while the dry section offers tropical fruits, household appliances, pre-packaged snacks, as well as local condiments such as prahok (fermented fish paste).
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
You can also find a number of stalls located close to the entrance of the Siem Reap Old Market that offer inexpensive souvenirs such as antiques, silks, T-shirts, jewellery, and shoes. Just make sure you bargain between 50 to 75 per cent lower than the stated price as most items are inflated significantly higher for tourists.
The food section is ideal for sampling Cambodian soups, noodles, rice dishes, baguettes, spiced frogs, and pork sausages at affordable prices. Try the quintessential Siem Reap breakfast staple bai sach chrouk (US$1), which comprises juicy pork slices, scrambled eggs, and broken rice. As Old Market gets very crowded with marketgoers, be aware of your belongings to avoid getting pickpocketed.
Siem Reap Old Market (Psar Chas)
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7am to 8pm
- Location: 2 Thnou St, Siem Reap, Cambodia