Siem Reap Old Market (Psar Chas)
Siem Reap Shopping0
Old Market in Siem Reap, situated on the west side of Siem Reap River, is where the local population head to in the early mornings to shop for a wide array of fresh vegetables, seafood and meat as well as household items. Locally known as Psar Chas, it’s the oldest Khmer market in Siem Reap and a must-visit for those looking to experience the local lifestyle.
The open-air market is covered by a massive roof, offering ample shade from the sun if you’re here on a scorching afternoon. While the stalls aren’t as refined as the ones you might find at newer markets like Angkor Night Market. The wet section of Old Market is located close to the central food court, where local vendors display live seafood in fish tanks and butchered poultry atop ice trays while the dry section offers tropical fruits, household appliances, pre-packaged snacks, as well as local condiments such as prahok (fermented fish paste).Read More
- Private Angkor Thom, Bayon, Ta Prohm & Angkor Wat Tour
- Copper Metal Bracelet Workshop
- Apsara Dance Performance with Buffet Dinner at Koulen Restaurant
- Smile of Angkor Show with Buffet Dinner at Smile Angkor Grand Theater
- Cambodian Circus Show with Private Transfer
- Iron Pencil Sketching
- Cooking at a Local's House
- Cambodian Cultural Village & Angkor Museum Tour
- Classical Apsara Dancing
- Shadow Puppets Leather Carving Workshop
There’s also a number of stalls located close to the entrance that offer inexpensive souvenirs such as antiques, silks, t-shirts, jewellery, and shoes, but make sure you bargain between 50 to 75 per cent lower than the stated price as most items are inflated significantly higher for tourists.
The food section is ideal for sampling Cambodian soups, noodles, rice dishes, baguettes, spiced frogs, and pork sausages at affordable prices. Try the quintessential Siem Reap breakfast staple bai sach chrouk (US$1), which comprises juicy pork slices, scrambled eggs, and broken rice. As Old Market gets very crowded with marketgoers, be aware of your belongings to avoid getting pickpocketed.
Old Market (Psar Chas)
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 – 20:00
- Address: Psar Chas Road, Siem Reap