A few days on Bamboo Island, off Sihanoukville's coast, is highly recommended. The boat ride takes about half an hour and once there you'll find that only about 30 people live on the island. On the north-facing crescent beach, Bamboo Island has several bungalow resorts, a couple of restaurants and bars, and is very, very laid back.
Unlike on the more frenetic mainland, there are usually no hawkers around and the bungalows are right on the casuarina tree-lined beach. You'll usually encounter a few fellow day-trippers. But come nightfall, the island is practically deserted. Electricity is provided by 2 generators for the early hours of the evening but after that, it's back to the moon and the stars for light.
- Private Angkor Wat & Royal Temples Excursion
- Afternoon Tour of Angkor Wat
- Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda & Independence Monument Half-Day Tour
- Phnom Penh Full-Day Guided Trip
- Private Excursion to Ancient Temples, Takéo Silk Village & Mount Chisor
- Small-Group Mekong Sunset Tour
- Sunrise Angkor Temple Photo Excursion
- Flight of the Gibbon Zipline Tour at Angkor Park
- Tonlé Sap Lake Tour with Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Angkor Temples Private Small-Group Tour
You won't find TV or internet, or even roads, on Bamboo Island. But what you will find is warm, blue, crystal-clear water, perfect for swimming – plus, soft golden sandy beaches, lush natural surroundings, and a lot of peace and tranquillity that you won’t come across in many other so-called ‘relaxed’ destinations. This is serenity at its best.
You’ll find footpaths throughout the island, so you can explore the jungle-covered interior. There is a volleyball net on the beach.
To get to Bamboo Island, a ferry usually departs from Ochheuteal Beach at 10am and departs from the island at 4pm. The traverse takes roughly 45 minutes.
- Location: Bamboo Island, Cambodia